The caves, discovered by a group of Ancona speleologists in 1971, are situated 7 kilometres (4 miles) south of Genga, near the civil parish of San Vittore and the Genga-San Vittore railway station (Rome-Ancona line).
Near the entrance to the caves are two sanctuary-chapels: one is the 1029 Santuario di Santa Maria infra Saxa (Sanctuary of Holy Mary under the Rock) and the second is an 1828 Neoclassical architecture formal temple, known as Tempietto del Valadier.
The Frasassi cave system includes a number of named chambers, including the following:
Grotta delle Nottole, or “Cave of the Bats”, named for the large colony of bats that lives within.
Grotta Grande del Vento, or “Great Cave of the Wind,” discovered in 1971, with approximately 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) of passageways.
Sala delle Candeline, or “Room of the Candles,” named for its plentiful stalagmites that resemble candles.
Sala dell’Infinito, or “Room of the Infinite,” a tall chamber with massive speleothem columns supporting the roof.